Ohhhh what a month

So, yeah, no posts so far this month. I can tell you why in one word: chaos.

I’ve been sick– over and over– basically since my Viking went to band camp in August. This week, I’ve really got it bad– a new respiratory virus on top of a chronic cough left over from the last one. Soooo . .. my lungs are full of gunk and my sinuses are plugged with gunk and there’s entirely too much gunk to go around.

Add to that the Quest to Get Miss Autism’s Teeth Fixed and you have a recipe for disaster. In order to have her teeth fixed, she had to have a power of attorney given to me and my husband. The surgery center didn’t want to proceed without one. In order to get a power of attorney, you have to get a notary to sign off on it. In order to get a notary to sign something in Texas, you have to have an official state id card or a driver’s license. In order to have one of those, you have to have a bunch of paperwork to prove who you are, then go to the driver’s license bureau that’s on the north end of town.

So, after the initial trip to the dentist, I had to find all those papers (which meant I had to gut our entire filing system and go through months of old paperwork.) Then I had to take Miss Autism out of school and to the DMV. Except we were missing proof of residency papers. Oops. Didn’t mention THOSE on the webpage where it listed the papers you needed. So, another day (since that day wore me out as it was), then another trip to take her out of school and down to the DMV and waiting for that. Then we had to take her to the doctor for a physical to make sure she was healthy enough for the anesthesia while waiting for the DMV to send her new id card.

Finally, they sent that, so I had to take her and all the little boys to the notary, which was a long process in itself. Then after that was done and the papers in hand, I had to force her through the “no eating or drinking after midnight” thing, then take her to the surgery center, then get through the whole mountain of paperwork for that, then endure the waiting and the recovery process. Miss Autism was terribly nervous and didn’t want to cooperate, but she did go along with it despite her misgivings. She was REALLY good for the IV placement and once that was in, we were gold.

Recovery was rough– she ate 3 popsicles and drank 2 12oz cans of Dr Pepper– mostly because she was VERY VERY upset about how many of her teeth had to be capped with stainless steel crowns. Since she is a tooth-grinder with a long history of eating wood and metal and hard plastic, she’s done a number on her teeth. But, after a couple bad days of acting out, she’s settled down and seems to have gotten over the initial shock. It has to help that her teeth are fixed and won’t be giving her any more pain.

But, after all that, this cold has just set me back badly. We struggled along with school last week in a lame way– not much got done by the Ninja, but he did manage his math and religion, and nothing got done by the Tank since he was sick all darn week. This week has been a total wash so far. I may have been able to get something done but the school sent Miss Autism home with “pinkeye” that absolutely is fiction. Once we had to go pick her up and then deal with her frustrated “I want to be at school” behaviors all day, homeschooling was not going to happen. I’m hoping to be actually less sick tomorrow so we can at least do the important stuff– math, phonics, religion, maybe a little history. Maybe I won’t be hacking up a lung for hours on end, who knows.

The weather hasn’t broken yet– these are supposed to be our big rain months but it’s dry as a bone and still in the mid-90s during the day. I just want this crap to be OVER with. I want to be well and I want the weather to be cooler and I want to be able to do the things I want to do with the boys– hiking and picnics and zoo trips and nature study.

I’ve managed to get a few things done despite everything– the Bear’s bedroom renovation is essentially done, all I need to do is sort her little knicknacks and move the storage boxes out of her corner, maybe find a cute picture to hang on her wall in one or two blank spots. Other than that, though, it’s finished– the closet painted and decorated, the linens all changed out, new rugs put in, all the junk sorted. The house is mostly decorated for Halloween. A lot of our books have been packed away, so the house looks less cluttered. It’s getting better. I’m just not where I want to be yet . . . Christmas is so close and the house is still icky. I need to paint a lot of stuff and clean a lot more. So much work . . ..

Well, I’m going to concentrate on getting well. Once I do that, the sky is the limit.


2 thoughts on “Ohhhh what a month

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s